How it feels to be outside home during durga pujo for a Bangali

It's been two and a half years that I'm here in a metro city away so far away from home. I am writing this blog post on the Navami of Durga Pujo 2019, because I want to share my thoughts and feelings with those Bangali who can't make it to their homes during the biggest festival of Bengali pride. This post is not at all planned or well composed. It's just a raw article which I'm just typing down as it comes to me. So please pardon any mistakes if I've made them!

Durga Pujo is the biggest festival that us Bangali celebrate. Every year the excitement level of every Bangali reaches a peak as Mahalaya, the first day of pujo, approaches. Buying new clothes and jewelries adds to this excitement. A six day celebration beginning from the day of Panchami to Dashami, when goddess Durga goes back, taking all the evil and negativity away from our lives to leave us in peace and happiness.



Since 2017 I haven't been able to celebrate Durga Pujo in my hometown. Being a student of a north Indian University there are almost no holidays during this time, except on the day of Dusshera. Also if you ask why I don't take holidays, it is because every year this time the university usually conducts the mid-semester examinations. I think for many of you it's the same situation out there. It's so frustrating!
So all the non-residential Bangali out there, fret not! Let's drown in our sadness and despair together.

Yesterday I thought about going through some of the videos on YouTube, searching "how a Bong feels being outside of Bengal during Durga Puja". Youtube listed some videos for me but there weren't many videos which could get to you. While a commercial from a restaurant brand touched my heart more. Link: Oh! Calcutta.

As I scroll through Facebook, WhatsApp or Instagram, Durga Pujo is everywhere. I see my friends back at home, enjoying to the fullest. Even some of my friends added me to some Whatsapp group discussing the pandal hopping plan expecting me to be in the city and that I'd join them. I, sadly, read some of the messages then thought about letting them know that I will not be able to make this time. They replied "Bro don't worry we will update you with videos and pictures, enjoy a virtual tour". Yeah for the last two years, Durga Pujo back in my home town has become a virtual experience for me.

Okay, so let's discuss what you can do being outside of Bengal during this time. I live in the Delhi-NCR region. And we all know Bangali are everywhere, yeah literally everywhere. Everyday when I travel by metro or bus, I hear someone speaking in Bengali. Where there are Bangali, then Durga Puja will surely be there.

Last year I thought about exploring such Pujas near to me. Googled few of them and found out few other locations just by asking around. All these Pujas are arranged by the "Probashi Bangali" the Bangalis who live abroad or away from home. So I thought so what if I could not go back to my hometown, why not go around and visit these Pujo pandals near me and hear the beats of a Dhaak again!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you, However I am experiencing difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I can't join it. Is there anyone else having similar RSS problems? Anyone who knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanks!!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts